Jousting and Jabs

Doodle had been looking forward to Friday all week.  He didn’t exactly know it was Friday, but it was the day on his calendar with a stick figure Mamma drew picture of his friend JoM0.  Despite the chance of a drizzly day we decided to take the kids to our local palace (that’s right, we have a local palace y’all!) for a day of jousting.  There were falconry demonstrations and knights on horseback and sword fights.

We ended up  huddled under the umbrella eating Jaffa Cakes blueberries.  At least I remembered Doodle’s Jumper and the brolly or it would have been a truly miserable day.  With the hot, dry July we had I think I forgot that I was actually living in England.  I have been living in flip flops all summer and this was the first time I wished I’d worn proper shoes.

ZuZu was snug as a bug and quite enjoyed her afternoon in the fresh air.

I’m a little disturbed at how much I loved this outfit given the violently pink trousers.  But I digress.

Of course as soon as the tournament was over, it stopped raining.

Unfortunately by that time we had to rush home for ZuZu’s first round of vaccines.  They call them jabs here.  Great word.  There’s no way I’m going to be able to convince Doodle they don’t hurt when it’s time for his next rounds.  The cool thing about ZuZu’s is that we’re taking part in a study with her to see if children can get the same amount of antibodies with fewer vaccinations.  I’m very glad she’s in the group that does with less jabs but not really looking forward to the blood draws they have to do to actually check the antibodies.

Have I mentioned my daughter screams?  Like we’re lighting her on fire.  Now, I generally think I’m pretty bright, but it seems that when it comes to catching on to the fact that ZuZu is not her brother I seem to be a little slow on the uptake.  Doodle never had any reactions to his jabs shots and didn’t even seem to notice anything was happening until he was 6 months.  ZuZu on the other hand started complaining the moment the doctor touched her leg.  By the time we’d gotten through both shots, Doodle was covering his ears and the doctor was throwing things into his bag and running for the hills.  Apparently he forgot that he’d told me just a few minutes prior that they usually stick around for 15 minutes to make sure there’s no anaphylactic reaction to the vaccines.  She didn’t stop for half an hour.  And then that night, she thought she’d revisit how upset she was that I allowed her leg to be skewered by a quack to be given life-saving vaccinations.  Next time I’ll be prepared.  I’ll make sure a dear friend is celebrating a birthday.  In London.  For the whole day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s